View Single Post
Old 06-01-2013, 09:56 AM
John T.
Joh.n Ta.ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
This brings back a lot of good memories of going to regional (Illinois) shows in the early 1980's through the early 1990's.

Dimaggio, Mantle, Musial $9

Dimaggio made an appearance at a local high school which had yearly shows to raise money for their athletic department. Only one baseball per person because he claimed to have arthritis. Joe D stood up and shook my hand at the show. One of the firmest handshakes I have ever experienced. Fun show!

Mantle and Ford allowed people to take pictures of them with many people having their toddlers sitting with Whitey and the Mick... No charge!

Musial was reluctant to sign my Chesterfield cigarette ad until I told him that I did not smoke. Nice guy!

Bob Feller-- $2 and a couple of times at $4. Feller was everywhere and would sign anything. Nice guy.

Whitey Ford $8

Eddie Mathews, Warren Spahn, Johnny Mize, Enos Slaughter, Willie Mays, Luke Appling, Buck Leonard $6

I felt sorry for Buck Leonard as it was obvious that he had arthritis and the guy in front of me had him sign a box of baseballs.

Lou Boudreau, George Kell $5

I am not into chasing the autographs for the prices that are currently being charged. I have made a few exceptions.

Ernie Banks $75 for a baseball and $120 for a jersey. Ernie was signing for a local charity.

Of the people signing at the National...

Sugar Ray Leonard and Dan Hampton--Free

Steve Garvey $5 for a bat circa late 1980's

Fun times!!!
Those were the days. You won't find many athletes will do that now at that price.