View Single Post
Old 05-18-2020, 06:13 PM
Michael Fried

I appreciate that many may want just a quick name to label their cards by. But just thowing out a name is how the problem started over 50 years ago . . . everything became a "Bond Bread" card. It's taken over ten years for this thread to reach this point and still no real agreement on just what the various sets are.

For example, the perforated cards are not just perforated on 3 sides but also on two and four sides. I am reconstructing sheets to see if the baseball player side of those cards was printed in the same format as the Bond Bread package insert cards and the Sport Star Subject sets. To one who only collects baseball cards, the popularity of calling one of those cards by the player name and saying it has Cowboy or some other back may seem sufficient. But look at the three sided perforated card bearing the player signature that reads "Cid Gordon." To merely call it a perforated Gordon Card with a Cowboy back would be both a collecting error and financial mistake. The "Cowboy" pictured on the back is Gene Autry. There are more collectors of entertainment cards who avidly seek obscure cards of Gene Autry than baseball card collectors who can tell you who Sid Gordon is.

Some others of these "Cowboy" or "Westerns" backed perforated cards, contain stills of key scenes from some of the most popular movies of the day. At least one has printed in very small type the movie title and the names of the actors along with their key phrase from that scene, which, like "As may the force be with you" did from "Star Wars" entered into the spoken language of popular culture of the time. We either know what these cards are, or are merely holding them to pass off for profit.

I believe that without the background information being provided, the questions about these sets will continue long after the currently remaining facts about them are lost.

I was just mailed a card from a set I can find no record of. It has the same player picture as that player is pictured in the sets of the Bond Bread package inserts, Sport Star Subjects, Exhibits, and others. Like you, I too want to figure out what it is that I have. When it arrives, I will post pictures.

Thank you for understanding,

Mike

Last edited by abctoo; 05-18-2020 at 06:15 PM.