View Single Post
Old 07-03-2019, 01:08 PM
Al Wright

I don't see any assumptions in my post except that basic human affairs and interactions will continue if they can. You seem to believe that paper (1988 Topps cards) are preferable to conduct those transactions. In normal times I have zero arguments with that position. In troubled times things can sometimes become much more stressful. What the theoretical vendor in any country would have in such times if they accepted gold/silver instead of paper in something of much more value than paper currency that has lost the confidence of the populace. You are also transposing the merchant and the farmer in your illustration.

Throughout history, and this is especially true in Asia, precious metals have been revered as stores of value not subject to the capricious wiles of corrupt and despotic central governments. If they don't interest you I fully understand. You have 99% of the US population right in your corner. I just see things a little differently. You know you had asked if there was any backup for the Germany city blocks changing hands for a few gold coins. These type of events were reported fairly commonly during the height of the Weimar hyper-inflation of the 1920's. I might mention that there are a fair number of holocaust survivors who owe their lives to being able to bribe officials with gold or diamonds and such to get out.

Anyway, off to watch Sweden/Netherlands in footy. Cheers!