View Single Post
Old 05-26-2020, 12:29 AM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikehealer View Post
David, I would say that's a good deal on the silver dollars. From my experience
silver dollars usually sell for a little more than the ounce spot price. I had a good friend a couple of years ago selling his mom's silver coins and the local coin shop offered $17 each for the dollars, silver at the time was between $14-15.
This is correct. Typically spreads are ~$1 over spot for rounds and $2-4 for eagles (over the recent 10+ years... obviously a percentage is more useful for spot prices significantly less than or greater than they are today). Right now spreads are wild but to mitigate it you could buy at basically spot with GLD or SLV. I think there is still a lot of value in having physical bullion (just my opinion with unfortunately no insight to the future of gold and silver prices) but if it's for purely an investment a mix of one of the ETF's and physical could be a nice play (in case something happens to the ETF... delivery issues, unlikely government confiscation, etc.) as the physical will still have a spread over spot on the bid side. If it's more from a collecting aspect, I would hold off for spreads to drop or just buy a small amount at today's prices.