View Single Post
Old 07-14-2020, 04:50 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Old coins are probably the sole source of silver that I have. I inherited a coin collection from an uncle, who inherited a large portion of it from my grandmother. I would never sell any of the pieces because of the family connection but my grandmother kept a stash of about 50 (mostly peace with some morgan) dollar coins with her for her entire life. She grew up in the depression and the fear of being left with nothing never left her. Most of the peace dollars are from the 20s and 30s but mixed in are some morgan dollars from the turn of the century. My uncle told me that while she was growing up, my grandmother's family kept them stashed under a floor board in their apartment. When she moved out of the house, her parents gave her the stash as a wedding gift.
My grandmother had a stash of old silver dollars that her parents kept for the same reason; when the stock market crashed and the banks failed, my great-grandparents lost just about everything. Then a few years ago, when her dementia started setting in, my grandmother tried to spend them at face value . My dad and his brothers talked her out of it.