View Single Post
Old 02-18-2021, 12:23 PM
Bob Andrews

First game was at the old MSG, December 1960. Leafs played the Rangers. My Blueshirts go a rare win (6-0!) Back then my uncle passed along a lot of sporting event tickets to my father. My uncle was a pharmasist in a one-pharmacy town in North Jersey and knew everyone. He was always getting tickets and had no interest in sports but my father and I took the seats happily.

Saw a lot of Ranger games in the 60s until I went off to Texas for college. Best memories are seeing Brad Park's first goal in '68 and, above all, this game, Game Three of the Bruins-Rangers playoff series in 1970. https://youtu.be/fp1x_2Iu5BQ

They had a major brawl just after the puck dropped to start it. Rangers vs Derek Sanderson. Set a record at the time for penalties in a period. Sanderson got tossed and shot us all the bird as he left. Fun night. We'd skipped school to land the tix after the Rangers clinched a berth on the last day of the season. EDIT to add to the above post...our seats for that Rangers Bruins playoff game were in the last row upstairs behind one end. My buddy and I had to literally stand on our seats to see the whole ice. But we didn't care.

I saw some fun games in Dallas and St. Louis over the years but I didn't see a game at MSG again until 35 years later when I saw the Sabres in 2005. I admit to getting a bit emotional when I walked inside the Garden. Traveled back for several games since including Lundqvist's last start at MGS a year ago.

I was a Houston Aeros ticket holder during most of their short WHA life in Houston. Some good times watching the Howes and many more.

Last edited by commishbob; 02-18-2021 at 12:25 PM.