Thread: Other Forums?
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 05:16 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I read thee stamp message boards,
One is pretty good, a mix of stupid posts and ones with more interesting content.
Another is really good, especially for Australian stamps. But the owner is.... The anti-Leon. He has at least four accounts, and some insanely pedantic rules about things. And is argumentative, and will argue pretty rudely from all of his accounts if he doesn't like a poster. The mods are just as bad, but mostly police whether a picture (which is MANDATORY) is posted in their approved way, or as an attachment, which puts an "annoying white frame around the picture" - that I barely notice, but apparently doing that makes you nearly as bad as a stamp forger (Or card trimmer)
The third is a really good one, mostly about postal history. It can get simultaneously fascinating and lapse into a coma dull all at once.
Like the epic argument between a couple experts about whether a letter sent from Burma on a particular day early in WWII went to the UK via the US and /or Canada. Or if it went through India to Tehran then Gibraltar OR if it couldn't have because Tehran was closed starting that day so it must have gone by way of India/Baghdad/Gibraltar/UK..... Those may not be the exact routes, I may have mentally blocked some of it.
But they've always patiently answered my beginner questions, and in one case had an answer about an atypical version of a rare cover from the primary expert in under an hour.
(Sort of like here only well, it's stamps, so a bit less "exciting" )
Stamps. I used to collect stamps and coins. I'm sure if I checked out related forums I'd be a goner. Same for chess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commishbob View Post
I used to enjoy a couple of golf forums as I was a club builder and certified club fitter at one time. I also posted on one or two boards dedicated to my college teams (Houston and Nebraska).
You've reminded me that I was active on a couple of golf forums two years ago. Of course I got into the history and started collecting and restoring old clubs. Now I've got bag-loads of them gathering cobwebs. The golf club forum guys were the most cliquish and pompous of any forums members I've dealt with. It was near impossible to get questions answered and if you weren't one of the good old boys, no one was going to respond to any of your posts. That membership died a natural death - I simply forgot I was a member!

It's been very interesting reading what others are into. It's surprisingly all over the board.

Last edited by Runscott; 03-02-2021 at 05:17 PM.