Thread: Getting old
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2021, 09:28 AM
James M.

Steve,

While I'm a few years younger, I did find some of what you said very relatable. While I'm only in my third decade of life, I do notice that it becomes a little bit harder to throw myself into a new band or musical artist, or start a new hobby. Even being a young man, I'm much more prone to stick to the hobbies or music I'm apart of rather than try something new.

Even with sports, my childhood was not too long ago, but I used to be able to faithfully keep up with every player, both on the teams I followed and around the leagues? Now I can barely keep track. I know some of the rookies sure, but as time goes on and more responsibilities come up it becomes harder.

I've talked to my parents about this along with a group of older gentleman who I have coffee with frequently. They speak a lot about finding joy in the things they already love, living through the younger members of their family's or rediscovering hobbies they may have dropped a long the way. I think it's very easy to get "stuck in our ways" for certain things, and sure it's difficult to keep things interesting, but if there's one thing the older generations tell me to do is never stop learning and enjoying life. I think I'm rambling a little bit though!

Back to the point at hand, many of them still go to concerts or games. Sure it's different but I think that's the point. It's fun to reminisce and think about how things once were, and sure there are things that we would love if they never changed, but change is a part of life. An important part that will always happen. While difficult you can find the joy and love in the things you once did or still do even if they become a little different. Gradual change is a little bit easier to handle than rapid one, that's the one thing that I think is troubling about certain things today. In the internet age, everything changes so quickly. One day something is happening and then the next we are onto something new.

However I do think all of us will have our moments where we are the "old man yells at cloud"

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.

Last edited by Seven; 04-29-2021 at 09:30 AM.