View Single Post
Old 02-18-2021, 08:22 PM
George E.

I can't remember what it was as a kid. I do remember opening 1985 packs and looking for the USA cards. I remember the McDonalds football cards from 1986 being all the rage at my school. I loved those cards. And I remember when the first 87 cards came out and being very interested in what the new design would be.

For prewar, I was searching ebay for some of the old Cardinals greats to see what was out there. I saw the Gold Medal Foods Ducky Medwick listed for around ten dollars and I couldn't believe it. It never occurred to me that the old cards that seemed the stuff of legend when I collected cards as a kid could be so easily acquired. And the R313A set was ideal to draw me in, being a small set relatively inexpensive, packed with HOFers, and made of players of my two favorite teams. Serendipitous. Turns out the Medwick was mis-listed so there was a chance that it wasn't widely seen when I found it. That also got me hooked - that bargain hunting aspect. Soon after, I got a pretty good deal on the National Game Runner Sliding that likely pictures Cobb. I never thought I'd own a 100-year-old Ty Cobb card.