View Single Post
Old 05-19-2021, 11:35 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
“All of the issues you discuss are in fact in the ACC and the catalogs that followed. But not Baseball Gum's series of 50... from General gum, in Chicago, in 1934 when their non sport issue was cataloged.”
The pictures ARE catalogued. As R310. They are simply not given attribution as being from more than one source.

You are of course free to believe what you will as to whether these pictures were distributed by General Gum, Inc. However, it remains as fact that the company issued black and white non-sport cards at or near the same time, and issued baseball player drawings on buttons/pins in 1933, showing they had both the wherewithal and interest to generate or participate in the sale of R310.

We KNOW that these same pictures (slightly smaller) were sold with gum, at least most of the same subjects, in Canada. We also know that the manner of sale is extremely similar to what we have here (picture plus one or two sticks of gum for a penny), and the verbiage used in the sales pitches was nearly identical. It is not a stretch by any means, IMHO, to conclude that a gum company in the U.S. could have had a hand in disbursing these same pictures here, particularly one like General Gum, which seems to have owned several sub-brands that made multiple varied attempts to reach kids through pop culture of the time.

I am going to keep an open mind on this. As stated, new discoveries appear periodically that help answer unsolved questions, although they can also raise new ones. It is also prudent to question hobby "knowledge" once in awhile, in the interests of getting it right. For example, why do we still call these 1933 gum buttons 1930 Cracker Jack pins? What evidence is there that Cracker Jack had anything to do with them? And why are V94s called Canadian Butterfinger? Just as a matter of convenience, like calling WWG cards Canadian Goudey? Was Butterfinger even produced or sold in Canada?
Butterfinger chocolate bars were never offered in Canada, from what I know (unless imported by a specialty shop).
We have always had what I would call the more superior tasting Crispy Crunch by Cadbury, which, incidentally, was available at one point in the US.