View Single Post
Old 01-18-2021, 01:18 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
No disrespect but this perspective is as old as it is stale. Literally every generation has said the same thing about the next, mostly because it appreciates things differently and that has always made an old person mad for whatever reason there is to be mad that young people's opinions are different.

My point was about hobby trends. There is no reason whatsoever for the 52 Mantle to be the card it is. Boomers have just decided it is so. But you can't depend on that notion continuing forever when you're talking about a crop of collectors who will have their own version of Mantle to collect (Mike Trout).

We're already seeing collecting trends change, probably forever. Whereas the Topps Rookie was an all important card in the past, now it is Bowman that is king. Again, simple example of a widening trend. Look at the big cards of guys who came into their own as my generation grew up:

Griffey - it's Upper Deck, not Topps
Jeter - it's SP, not Topps
Ichiro - it's SPX, not Topps
Pujols - it's Bowman, not Topps
Trout - it's Bowman, not Topps
I was just basing it off what I've been seeing with teenagers I've been working with. They seem to value a lot more of the "here and now" but I suppose you could be right. I didn't mean for it to sound like a "back in my day" sort of thing. And yes I noticed that with the Bowman Rookies of the modern cards as well.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.

Last edited by Seven; 01-18-2021 at 01:19 PM.