View Single Post
Old 01-18-2021, 11:19 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Quote:
Originally Posted by campyfan39 View Post
I have three teenage sons and sadly only one is slightly interested in cards at the moment but all three almost exclusively listen to music from the 60’s-80’s and talk about history and the past with me constantly. Interestingly enough my 17 year old broached the subject of cards with me today because he heard about the sale of the 52 Mantle. He figured I had one. Hahaha. I said son if I had one we would be living a lot differently haha.
This.

I think alot of people posting in this thread don't actually have teenagers/millenials in the family.

My daughter is 18. As opposed to being disconnected from the past, the internet has made it possible for her to know more words to Fleetwood Mac songs than I do, and at least as good a hold on 80's rock/pop as I do which happened in my late teens.
She's also watched a tonne of old tv shows along the way, Full House etc. and wears high waisted bellbottom jeans by choice.

My son will be 17 in March, similarly knows way more music than you'd ever guess from Grunge to 80's metal and funk, and even threw on a Wham song the other day and jammed to it in the car. I almost cried laughing through my efforts to belt it out alongside him.
He loves animae and says he's learned a tonne about what's important from these Japanese storytells, as well as all kinds of other interesting stuff.

Sure kids today may socialize differently, or seemingly not value what we value, but that's largely because we are seldom let in to their world. They see us as old, just as I saw my Mum and Dad as old.

Neither of my kids like cards, but they like money and like the idea of owning something of worth down the track. I don't care at all as long as they love us and are good hearts.

Think waaaaay to many generalizations get made about todays youth because they communicate so differently and often remotely.

Oh, and I love the rise and rise of sports cards.
I bought some when everyone in the early 2000's was saying it was nuts to do so, that the opportunity of the 80's had gone and everything was overpriced.
Am totally happy for a 67' muscle car to be worth a million dollars, and a 52 Topps Mantle similarly to have desirability and high end worth.
Don't want to spend big money? There are plenty of 52' Topps cards you can buy cheap and even collect most of your team that way.
Not everyone gets to have a 52' Mantle because they've somehow earned the right though their collecting chops, ALL highly desired cards have carried a significant premium which is why even back in the day people wouldn't shell out what would now be considered peanuts for them.
The opportunity is always NOW.
Later is good for regrets.

Last edited by 68Hawk; 01-18-2021 at 11:24 PM.