View Single Post
Old 01-20-2021, 11:56 AM
Steve Birmingham

It was a really common glue at the time, so there's a good chance that's what it is.
I might test one with a bit of water on a Q-tip. Just dampened there's not really enough water to do damage, but enough to see if the glue will dissolve.
I've heard of using vinegar on it, but I'm leery of using an acid on cardstock that may already be acidic.

A couple thoughts that are stretching things a bit.

I believe some mid 60's Topps have glued on fronts, At least from the side they look like they have different layers. I haven't ended up with one bad enough to try disassembling it yet.

My one week of temp work with American publishing involved jigsaw puzzles which were paper glued to cardstock. You might find a bad 70's jigsaw and try with one of those. I don't recall the glue used.
(I also did Return of the Jedi Presto-Magix, so if you had a kit, there's a very slim chance I helped pack it. )*

Surprisingly, many old postcards are laminated layers. And lots of dampness can make them separate very cleanly with no hint of adhesive. Very strange.

*But I only lasted a week. Having worked in the print shop, I was way too fast for the presto magix assembly line. basically collated something like 1000 sets before break and spent the rest of the day just putting a set into the right place in the box. YAWN... Everyone hated me. When we'd finished the order I had to un-collate a couple hundred stacks... Which made the supervisors hate me. So they moved me to a puzzle press with a couple old Potugese ladies who were insanely fast, and would deliberately go extra fast even when they knew a few pieces had escaped the box when they came down the out put chute. Puzzle Die cut, border scrap removed, puzzle pushed down a chute that had a brush inside that took it apart.
I wasn't able to keep up, which was no fun.

Friday I got a check and a "I don't think you're happy or working out here so go be free speech"