Thread: Dont blame mom
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2013, 04:33 PM
Rob Ruddy

Default No, can't blame mom for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
Oh brothers...I find this soooo hard to write about. In a nutshell my brother and I burned a 55 gallon cardboard drum in an incinerator in 1956...filled to the brim with baseball Hockey and football cards. After all they were "old" cards, and we wanted new ones. Pounds and pounds of 52 topps through 56.....all kinds of bowmans and a bunch of tiny little pictures of dead baseball players we had never heard of. Even burned my "world on wheels" collection "rails and sails" and my beloved davy crockett cards. Oh the pain. Dave.
Dave, I feel your pain.

Back around 1970 on the urging of my mother to clean up my room and more specifically, my disaster area of a bedroom closet, I also got rid of most of my baseball and hockey cards that I had collected from 1961-1968. Mostly Topps, O-Pee-Chee and Parkhurst. Some nice rookie cards in that mess strewn about in my closet. I distinctly remember having some very nice Nolan Ryan rookies as well as Bobby Orr rookies in that "mess" not to mention my 1961 Horror Monsters set. My cards were kept either in a box or "stored" on the closet floor. They weren't in decks held by elastic bands like so many of us did back then. Back then we (my circle of friends that collected) always wanted the new stuff and tended not to hold on to the older material. Of course, this was decades before price guides and TPGs.

To have been a willing participant in that cardboard genocide is tough to talk about but we have professionals that can help us cope.

UPDATE:

I guess I didn't mention the nice 1969 Topps Jackson rookies I had and I mean NICE! My cards were kept either in shoe boxes or on the closet floor rather than in decks held by elastic bands.

Last edited by auggiedoggy; 06-30-2013 at 09:52 AM.