Thread: Clayton Kershaw
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2016, 07:21 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
Yes I think all of those guys should be in with perhaps the exception of Brown due to his appearing on the Mitchell list.

It's a crime Mussina wasn't a first ballot guy as he should have been.

and yes for their careers Murray and Kaat provided very similar value, overall. I don't get why you have such a hard time with this.

If you play ten years and put up 72 WAR you were a better player than a guy who put up 72 WAR over 20 years, but FOR YOUR CAREER, you provided exactly the same amount of wins above a replacement player.

do you think that 2000 pounds of dirt piled slowly is less a ton than 2000 pounds of dirt piled quickly?

Kaat was a reliever for 4 of the final 5 years of his career, thus providing very little value on a WAR basis.

Kaat 19 seasons of positive WAR contribution - total fWAR 70.9

Eddie Murray 18 seasons of positive WAR contribution- total fWAR 72.0

and like I said, Kaat's peak production period of 1961-1975 he was the 3rd best pitcher behind only Gibson and Gaylord Perry.

Eddie Murray's peak production period from 1977-1990 he was 4th best position player behind Schmidt, Henderson and Brett.

I think both compare pretty well, they are within 1 WAR for their careers had similar rankings against their peers in their prime and both had similar total years of positive WAR contribution.
Nick- I have tried to follow you but some of your threads don't make sense to me. You are the guy that thinks 3000 hits is drastically overrated....Jim Kaat? Really? career ERA of 3.50? And please, get off this WAR contribution bullshit. Let's talk baseball....Would you actually take Kaat over Bob Feller in a must win game? I don't think so....The verbiage on this thread is remarkable and way too extensive. I would venture to say that the book War and Peace was more simplified. Holy Crap

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 08-11-2016 at 07:40 PM.