Thread: Clayton Kershaw
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2016, 03:12 PM
Nick Barnes

I don't understand why people have to make things personal when they feel like they are losing an argument. I have been consistent in my use of fangraphs, presented a reasonable argument and been met with personal jabs and snarky derision, that isn't cool.

I happen to think baseball reference is an antiquated site in their proprietary stats and that Fangraphs is more up to date, evolved and simply better. I am not going to use BR for some stuff then Fangraphs for others as that would be cherry picking.

No I don't think that the % of votes received has any bearing nor validity on the merits of a candidate as the voters have shown over and over again they are fairly worthless at defining a HOF player. (Maz and Rice are in, Dick Allen and Trammel are not)

If you don't think WAR is a good measuring stick for a player's career then why use it at all? I happen to think that there are 3 paths to the HOF, being amazing for a shorter period of time (Koufax) being really good for a looong period of time (Murray, Kaat) or a combo of the two (Aaron, Mays) You can argue against this sure, but I don't see the need to get so flippant and dickish about it.

ETA: look at Glavine for example, he's really a borderline guy, sure he has the Cy Young awards, but for a career, it's sketchy. I have a hard time, even as a biased Braves fan, to accept his being in there and keeping Kaat, Mussina or Shilling out.

Last edited by bravos4evr; 08-16-2016 at 03:14 PM.