View Single Post
Old 12-08-2002, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Default Stupid Buyers, Stupid Sellers?

Posted By: Julie Vognar

You look under the name of the brand, then the year. Football guides are separate from baseball guides. Anyone you know who collects cards will probably give you a good estimate--just don't tell him you want to sell it to him.

Ask and look around.

Terry Knouse always tells me why he's charging what he's charging. He just bought a N162 Kelly at Philadelphia, and the seller said it was vg-ex. He can't see anything wrong with it, except tiny flaws , like a touched corner. But he was chargegd less than that, so he selling it for less than that. Someone wants to sell him a Old Judge Rusie for $1200--he hasn't seen it yet. I said i didn't think I'd want to see it, and so on.

Yes, people sell stuff for all sorts of reasons. An acquaintence gave me a big box of '68 and '69 Topps. because his son, the previous owner, had committeed suicide so he wouldn't have to go to Viet Nam (he didn't tell me this; I found out 6 months later about the son). A young man in the berkeley hills sold a big box of his entire baseball card collection for $1 (the Berkeley hills are very expensive), because the baseball strike turned him off so (the one that actually took place last). People sell stuff to other people and lie about the worth of cards they are selling and trading to get the buyer, soon to be seller, in trouble, then lie about what THEY said...trust price guides, transactions, and a little bit your own gut feeling--but don't ever think you're an expert when you know you're not.