View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Default Best way to sell Mantle auto ball

Posted By: Jim T

I noticed the shakiness of the M's too but had always attributed it to his likely age and health when he signed it. The rest of the signature does look right compared to other signatures.

The ball was purchased directly from Kit Young so the chance of someone swapping the ball is ruled out. I also believe him to be a reputable dealer and think the ball is likely authentic.

However, among the autographs I have, it is the only one I did not get in person. It sounds like anyway I look at it, I should get it authenticated first. Either it won't be authenticated and I have a nice ball to play catch with or it is authenticated and fetches a better sale price.

The irony is that about 6 to 8 months before he died, there was a show in Chicago that I could have gone to and gotten his auto in person. For whatever reason, I did not go. So my wife bought this ball for me in April and he died that August. If I had gotten it in person and was certain it was real, chances are I would not sell it. Nothing to do with knowing it is authentic but more of having a connection to a baseball legend.

I have a Warren Spahn auto that I love because I got it in person and he was easily the best autograph experience that I ever had. It would be hard to part with that regardless of value.