View Single Post
Old 02-14-2021, 08:43 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post
First vintage football set (and basically vintage football cards period) acquired today, and it's the one I've wanted: '71

Was a huge Steelers fan growing up. Even though that was during the '80s, the lore of the '70s dynasty was a big part of my sports childhood. Bradshaw and Greene's rookie cards together is just amazing. Plus all the other stars of the era that I don't have (OJ, Unitas, Namath, etc). And I love the design.

Yeah I know it doesn't have most of the rest of their '70s team, but I'm a big RC guy, so I'll sacrifice that. Franco, Lambert, Ham, and the rest are all in my '81 childhood cards

Great deal and nice eye appeal set too. The Bradshaw is a raw ex+ and Greene PSA 6. Those two alone are worth almost what the set cost w/ today's crazy values.

Looking forward to getting this one in hand
Congrats! That connection to childhood memories is the heart of the hobby (even as it has moved on to these crazy times). '71 Topps football was the very first set I bought packs of and seriously collected as a kid, I was seven. I was a '70s kid as such, six through sixteen, and those were my collecting years. But, despite being my first, I never loved the '71 set until a few years ago. I was rebuilding all of the '70s and had gotten back to the '71s and picked up a large lot that was in amazing shape. As I tried to maintain the quality of the set, the chase and such, I fell in love with it. She was my first, and I finally came back to her haha. The Jake Scott and Dick Anderson are personal favorites, but Sayers, Starr, Dawson, Unitas etc., tons of great stars.

Hope it arrives soon for ya.