View Single Post
Old 03-29-2021, 02:38 PM
Ke.vin G.ray

Target is in the process of clamping down to where cards will only be stocked on a particular day at a particular time, and people in line before that time will each be able to buy one box per person. Mostly this is a response to the absurdity of dozens of people hanging out in the stores waiting and hoping for someone to come stock the cards section.

I'm pretty convinced that, specifically in regards to Topps flagship baseball, all of this is just stupid panic buying. The flippers really want the premier football and basketball cards, as there is a huge margin to be made in those on ebay, marketplace, and other apps like discord. When they can't get football or basketball, they are buying baseball and trying to flip it too. Then people like us wander into Walmart or Target trying to buy a blaster or a few loose packs, and the shelves are empty. It causes us to perceive that Topps baseball is hard to find or scarce. Perceived scarcity, not actual scarcity. Then we all jump onto marketplace or ebay and are willing to pay $30 for a $20 blaster because we are afraid of missing out. I think flippers are sitting on huge piles of this stuff, doling it out online and benefitting from a perception that this product is hard to find. And it shouldn't be, based on production.

Just my two cents.

kevin