View Single Post
Old 06-14-2021, 03:18 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
Thanks Bob! I probably should have listed my E95 Wagner and 41PB Williams and DiMaggio as well. And I'm drooling over your collection! Absolutely amazing.
Ricky,

Thanks, but don't start drooling too hard. I'm definitely a lower end collector, and have to be when you start looking at all the Cobb, Ruth, Wagner and other superstar cards out there. So I have a preponderance of 1's and 2's (and even a fews A's) amongst my many HOFer and pre-war star cards. Occasionally I mess up and somehow end up with a nicer condition card, but I try to not let that happen too often. LOL

Truth be told, I'm not really into grading cards and would prefer buying them raw, if possible. But when dealing with pre-war cards, especially the HOFers and stars, you generally only find already graded ones for sale. Most sellers get them graded to maximize the potential sales price, and also calm buyer fears of possibly buying fake or reprint cards, especially when being sold online. I've been collecting and handled enough different pre-war cards over the years that I have no real concerns looking at cards in person at a show and determining if they are real or not. Online purchases, unless from a known and trusted seller like a DavidB or Howard, are a completely different story. Another potential benefit of buying lower condition graded cards, besides being able to afford them, is that they are less likely to have been doctored or tampered with. Already enough threads about those concerns and issues out there so no need to comment further on that topic.