View Single Post
Old 03-22-2023, 11:39 AM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcwcardz View Post
Really enjoyed this. I actually enjoyed Sportflics. I was 13 back in 1986 and was actually excited to get something new. I only found the 1986 with the multi player cards which also had rookies. It had the multiplayer rookie cards with about 6 guys. I remember canseco being one which brought some value to the set. That reminds me I once paid $110 dollars for a 1986 Donruss Rated Rookie Jose Canseco back in the early nineties. I took money out of the bank. I probably could have bought a nice Mantle for that money back then. Live and learn.
Oh, when we all chased those rookie cards thinking they'd fund our retirements. I actually still have 2 packs of the 1986 Donruss - The Rookie set in a closet in my home office. Sigh....

Well, some of the Gem Mint 10s of that Canseco card sell for like $500 on eBay now if you still have it and you think it could rate that high.

Not long ago on the vintage board I saw a guy talk of how in the early 1990s he straight-up traded off an old card of his for a 1970 Topps Nolan Ryan. This was at the height of both the junk wax era and the Nolan Ryan craze when he got so much media attention for doing what he was doing at that age in life and became a folk hero. The guy said he later had the Ryan graded and I think it's a PSA 5, still in his collection, and is worth maybe $250. The card he traded away was a T206 Walter Johnson portrait in good shape. At the time they were worth the same but that Johnson is worth thousands now. If you're in this hobby long enough you'll have some story like this - but perhaps not as bad as that specific example!

I should probably start a new thread on "Late 1980s to Early 1990s biggest wastes of money/worst trades".