View Single Post
Old 05-21-2003, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Default 7th Inning Stretch

Posted By: Rob

I got a submission from SGC back recently, had a T205 graded Vg-Ex that is WAY better than that Jennings card. A substantial minority of cards graded at least one grade lower than I expected, about 10% were graded 2 grades lower, bad enough I've cracked the cards out. Only 1 card out of 80 was graded higher than I expected, and that was borderline. What I would like to see is for SGC and PSA to give a much more detailed description with a number of scans to show what they look for to justify their grades.
Discerning collectors seem to discount the grades. That Jennings card has been listed at least 4 times and would had sold if that EX grade was justified. Conversely, way undergraded cards seem to get close to the proper ebay market price. I usually get a bid I am happy with even on cards that would grade NrMt-Mt where a very good large scan is posted.
I don't see why people on this board rave about SGC, they inacurrately labelled 2 cards I submitted and refused to grade another card due to improper color, the card was good. Frankly, I could do a better and more consistent job of grading sports cards. Bottom line, I'll have cards graded occasionally in the future where the time and expense justifies it, as it does provide a safeguard against some of the scams on ebay. Where it comes to collecting, I'll take an ungraded card, grading is only a tool to help sell a card.