View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 05:24 PM
Jason Stricker

Default OT: When you give cards to kids

My wife came home the other day and told me about how her boss' 5-yr old was becoming interested in baseball cards. They had gone to a Nationals game and they gave him the cut out cards found in the program; he loved them. So they bought a couple of packs for him and he goes nuts over them. So her boss was asking her what they need to buy him to store the cards - binder and pages? Boxes? She was asking my wife because they knew I was a collector.

So my wife asked me that evening if I had any cards I could part with to give to her boss' kid since she knew I'm purging a lot of my cards. In the past, I had sold some of them and donated some to a local charity. But unfortunately, I couldn't find buyers for most of the 80s/90s/2000s commons, so I had been throwing them away boxes at a time. As a result, I agreed to set some cards aside for the 5-yr old and in the future keep him in mind when I have cards I no longer want.

Apparently the cards were a big hit. So much so that his slightly older brother wanted some of his cards to play with. Her boss was very appreciative of course.

When I came home today, my wife handed me a personal note from her boss thanking me for my generosity. Along with the note was the below picture and thank you from both of her sons. While I had thought nothing of giving away a small stack of 90s commons, I now realize how much of an impact these cards can be on others, especially kids (we don't have kids). It was exactly what I needed after a hard day at work; a real pick-me-up if you will.

After reading the letter, I immediately put together two small bags of more baseball cards, one for each of the kids. Just felt like sharing.