View Single Post
Old 11-17-2021, 01:51 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Hey AustinMike, I truly love your framed JELL-O ad of Mickey; that is saturated with eye appeal!!!

I also congratulate you for the way you've framed the the 1954 Sports Ill. paper Yanks--nice.

As an aside, I sure as anything wish Topps had used that breathtaking George Silk portrait of our Mickey, used by Sports Illustrated to make their paper Mantle, to craft their recent 2021 Topps X Mickey Mantle card. They chose the same original photo used on his '52 Bowman, which I hate because of Mick's serious, almost irritated expression on his face. The glorious George Silk portrait would have been perfect. Topps did everything else correct on the front---nice light blue background, great black 'n white extra photo, and the right period autograph. Topps screwed up the backside, however, giving the SAME backside they used on their 1955 Topps Mantle creation!

Not to be vain, but they shouldda asked me, which would never happen anyway as I'm a nobody. But, I'm right this time!

My suggestion is to rectify the situation---make a run of exactly 100 of the way the 1954 would look with the George Silk photo, and create a right proper 1954 backside. Have them all graded at least PSA 10 and identified as "UPDATE VERSION". I'll leave it to the Topps people how to market those modern gems. All right, I can dream can't I!

All the best to you, AustinMike. You sure have a rousing hobby den, sir. Kudos, bro!!! --- Brian Powell
Brian,
Shoot me a message with your address if you are collecting the 2021 set. I ended up with an extra 1952 Topps (and may end up with 1 or 2 others), that I am happy to send you.