View Single Post
Old 09-02-2022, 06:07 PM
Ken Marks

Default SPs

I have put a lot of material out on these cards. And it is on Net54. What I would say about your observation is that you are correct, Brown is not listed among the toughest. When I built the list a few years ago, it was intended to identify the toughest of the tough. But there are a lot of tough cards. Your Brown is certainly one of them. But the list of 21 cards ( 1 2 13 63 69 70 95 112 113 115 116 117 118 156 157 166 167 168 179 180 181) were the cards I felt you almost never saw for sale, like on eBay. And I think a review of collectors want lists validates this. Never had much disagreement. In fact none. Today these really tough 21 cards go for easily $500. Some significantly more because there a different levels of availability within these 21 cards. I think a lot of the collectors will back me up on this. Now I am not saying you cannot luck out and find one occasionally for much less from an seller with limited set knowledge. But that is awful lucky. There were four or five cards sold on eBay several months ago that went for 2000 to 4000 dollars. Now a lot of us had our jaws drop[ with those prices, but the demand for these cards is very high and availability almost nil. Drawing the line at 21 cards was certainly arbitrary, because there are other cards (such as your Brown, Burton, Miller, Hoak, K Boyer which are really tough. There is not a gigantic drop after the 21 and cards 22-30 are really easy to find.. So there are a number of other really tough ones. But you see those more often. A Bilko sold on eBay last week for over $100. Generally the expensive players (both within and outside of the super 21) are journeyman players who appeared on just one gelatin flavor, generally an unpopular one A lot of the top 21 were solely on a flavor called Black Raspberry. Probably not a good seller. A number of players made appearance on multiple box flavors, thus are more common. (Nellie Fox and Jim Bunning were on Black Raspberry boxes, but they were also on other flavors, so they are not that hard to find). Many of the players printed on different flavors would certainly be considered the better players on their team. Also complicating player card availability was the company putting cards also on their pudding boxes. Maybe 64 players were on these and some of the super star were on three different pudding boxes and three different Jell-O gelatin boxes. So those player are very easy to find. Super stars or star players are not what drives the prices of this set. Those are easily obtainable. The last fact in all this is this was a test set and boxes were suppose to be sold only in the Chicago and Milwaukee area. Now based on some collectors recollections, they were sold a bit beyond these boundaries, but certainly not in most states. It is a challenging set and be glad to talk to you or anyone about it. 916 508-7872. or bwnrot@aol.com. One tip--I would not sell any of your cards until you know much more about them. Just because you don't see a sale, does not mean it is not a valuable card. In fact its the opposite perhaps. Hope this helps.