View Single Post
Old 11-20-2021, 03:24 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

I tried to find an article about Randy throwing games and faking injuries to get out of Seattle. I couldn't even find one. Sure seems like you guys are just making shit up. I did, however, find articles about him having back surgery. Twice.

His K/9 was 12.0 while he was in Seattle in 1998. It was 12.3 the year prior. His BB/9 was 3.4. It was 3.3 the year prior. And while, yes, his ERA was 4.33, his FIP was 3.35, almost a full run lower, and is also right in line with his FIP from the two seasons prior to that. Which means a full run per game of that 4.33 ERA was due to circumstances outside of his control.

I'd wager good money that this rumor about him throwing games and faking injuries (if it even was an actual rumor) came about because people who don't understand variance and sample sizes looked at the borderline irrelevant discrepancies between his ERA in Seattle and Houston that season and just pulled that explanation out of their ass because that's how stupid people attempt to explain away variance.

I'll say it again. Stop looking at wins, and stop looking at ERA if you want to evaluate pitching performance. I understand that this may be a difficult habit to break because it's been pounded into your heads for decades, but all it's doing is confusing you, whether you recognize it or not.