View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 05:58 AM
Rich Klein

Default Been Lucky; Been at several great games

But the one with the best story is the game we went to as part of the 1999 SABR National Convention.

A little digression here; a couple of weeks before the conference; I got a call from good friend Lew Lipset; asking if I wanted to go with that game with him. I said of course; because his ticket I knew would be better than the SABR tickets On the way to the game; he asked me; if the game runs long; do you mind leaving early?

Well; turned out no need for any of that as Randy Johnson (who pitched a masterful game and fanned his 2500th batter that night) was outpitched by a slug named Jose Jiminez (no relation to the astronaut) who decided to toss a no-hitter that night. In front of 500 SABR fans and other people --

I should also add that the late card/memorbilia dealer Bob Koehler used my extra ticket for that game and while he was still with us; we'd always joke that I had an extra ticket.

Here is the box from that game

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...250ARI1999.htm

Regards
Rich

I also went amongst other games to game 3 of the 2005 World Series; which lasted forever and a day.

None of the All-Star games I have been at have been really memorable.

First ever Interleague game was played at the Ballpark in Arlington; I made sure to buy tickets for that well in advance; actually made a few dollars for realizing importance before the average fan did.

I also want to note that in 2002 I went to the Red Sox game as part of the SABR convention -- and I have never really talked about this before -- but a few people I saw that weekend I would never see again. I walked to the ballpark with a great researcher named Dick Thompson, who wrote a fine tome on the Ferrell brothers -- and because of various circumstance -- that would be the last time I ever saw him before his untimely passing

Also -- my dear friends Audre and Eddie Gold were celebrating their 45th anniversary that weekend. By the end of the year; they were both gone. I still miss them dearly. And while we are at it; please say a prayer for their son Steve Gold; who is missing this year's National due to cancer treatments. This will be the 1st National in about 20 years we have not done dinner at least once during the show.

Last edited by Rich Klein; 07-11-2009 at 12:47 PM. Reason: More details