View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Rob

Tom Seaver's 300th win at the Stadium (85).

Yanks win at Stadium vs Twins,9-8,after being down 8-0. Sometime mid-80s. mattingl'y homer sailed right over my head in the blue seats for the game-winner if I remember!

First game attended with my dad at Yankee Stadium '66 or '67. Dad pointing out the Mick to me during BP. I remember it was late summer,vs Chisox or Det. Clearly in my mind,I remember Mick hitting a GW homer,but I don't think he played the whole game. MIght have been as a PH!

First time with dad at shea during '64 worlds fair.I was only 6,so I have no memories of the game,other than the fact that I ate too much ice cream and my baby brother got sick and we had to leave!

Again,with dad ..and 2 friends at a night game at Shea,when Yankees played there,it was 1974. Against the angels. Frank Robby I think knocked one out. Dad had a minor heart attack at the game and DROVE US ALL HOME before taking himself to the hospital. Top THAT for danger :-) He didnt tell us until later about the attack; I just thought he looked ill. He did take some bullets and shrapnel in WW2,so he was a tough bird.

Gooden's 1H,10-0 (?) shutout at shea vs the Cubs (84),where I think he broke the rookie K record for one season as a P.

Dont remember much about this game,but dad's friend jack Lang (writer) got me into Mets dugout in '72 before the game to sit with Kooz,Staub,Grote and co. We saw Seaver and I asked for his autograph for me and my brother (Yogi gave us a couple of baseballs!),but he was crabby and I heard him say to Kooz ("who the f is this kid?"). My dad,who was with Jack talking to him on the top of the steps,heard that. Dad was a big,tough guy and I was embarassed when he said to Seaver "please don't talk that way about my boy". I wasn't exactly a baby myself,I was 13 and about 6 feet tall. Tom just walked away and my pop was steamed. Jack got us 2 autos later on and brought them to my dad at his school. Maybe Tom was having a bad day. Biggest thrill,though,was meeting Mays and noticing how strong his arms looked and how big his hands were when he shook my hand. Got his auto on my glove,along with Rusty's and Kooz...and my younger brother used it in a game in the rain a few days later. Still have the glove in my garage;cant see the autos anymore,sadly.

GREAT thread!