View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Default What would you buy if you had 1300.00 today?

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Hey Rob,

Several years ago I interviewed Pete Center for the oral history program. Since you're fond of the Indians, you know he was a pitcher. He told me he got his start professionally when he was 'scouted' as he pitched for a town team. The 'scout' was a fellow with a nearby coal company. They had a company baseball team. The fellow proposed that Pete and another kid on the team come work for the mine, that their duties would be light, they'd be paid well, and then they'd play for the coal company team. Pete and his friend agreed. They showed up for work, and the man peeled them out as all of the other miners went down into the mine... he held them back in the office. Then, he handed rifles to them both, and told them to go out on the coal pile and shoot at rats whenever they saw one; then when the whistle blew indicating the work day was over, they were to rub coal dust on their faces lest their co-workers think they'd had it easy. Pete spent the summer shooting rats and pitching baseball.

If you EMAIL me your mailing address to my linked email, I'll mail you a 3x5 signed by Pete. Peace.