View Single Post
Old 01-31-2015, 10:40 AM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Marino

Ok, so to simplify the answer I am going to give...Dan Marino is the greatest QB to ever play in the years I watched football.

He was the best pure passer in an era not protected with "Peyton Rules". I don't want to belabor that discussion but passing in today's NFL is not the same as it was. Simply compiling "Peyton Stats" wouldn't be that difficult if you had an average team around you in today's game (see Philip Rivers for example)

Other QB's:

Johnny Unitas and Bart Starr are personal favorites too, but they were in the last years of their careers when I watched them play, so I have to set them aside for this purpose.

I thought Steve Young was better than Joe Montana, but the whole idea that you could plug in another QB into that system and succeed made me think it was the system and not the man.

Question for Bill, what made you call out Drew Brees as someone who "pads their stats"? I think his numbers are obviously terrific, his defense is historically terrible, running game nothing better than mediocre and his team must pass a lot to win. Sounds like he's playing to the situation. Not many better passers in the game past or present in my opinion. What stood out to you that he's padding any differently than say "Peyton"?

Aaron Rodgers, Brett Favre. Great quarterbacks on a fun team to watch. They are in the discussion as "my" best ever, especially Favre. He led the team with a certain gusto that's unmatched. Packers football history is the NFL. Watch how those GB teams specifically changed from the 60's to the current era and you'll see a good example of the NFL transition. Max McGee to Jordy Nelson, nuff said.

Not much mention above for Tom Brady. Granted, he plays in this passing friendly era and he certainly benefits from the rules (even the bent ones)
He is an all-time great. His records and wins are not flukes. Sometimes you just have to give credit where it's due.

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.