View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Default Top twenty players to collect?

Posted By: Greg Ecklund

Chris I agree completely on Dizzy Dean...he is ridiculously overvalued

My list:
1. Roberto Clemente - He'll be there with Jackie Robinson in time, but he's not quite there yet. While I think Robinson has leveled off, the Latin influence on baseball continues to grow, and Clemente is their patron saint of baseball.

2. Lefty Grove - Best. Pitcher. Ever. People just don't realize it yet

3 and 4. Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb - These guys are the elite of the elite, and always will be. As long as there is demand for baseball cards there will be no shortage of buyers for their material.

5. Lou Gehrig - A rung below Ruth and Cobb as far as career accomplishments, but probably not for notoriety. His name will live on forever, even among casual baseball fans.

6. Christy Mathewson - Has always been and will always be popular with vintage collectors. Johnson was a better pitcher and Alexander has stats that match his, but Matty seems to have that certain something that appeals to collectors.

7. Cy Young - The award that bears his name has ensured that his name will live on forever.

8. Jimmie Foxx - Like Grove, he seems very undervalued relative to his career accomplishments

9. Stan Musial - A more modern version of Foxx

10. Gavvy Cravath - If you want to take an outside shot at a Veterans Committee selection, anything related to him might be worth a try

Also: Ted Williams, Walter Johnson, Tris Speaker, Connie Mack, Honus Wagner, Charlie Gehringer, Satchel Paige

Overvalued: Dean, Marginal Giants HOFers (Bancroft, Jackson, Kelly, Lindstrom), Tinker/Evers/Chance, Hank Greenberg