View Single Post
Old 03-07-2022, 02:44 PM
J@E R1T0

Default Under The Radar Basketball Cards (investment)

Basketball memorabilia has been on an incredible run, and rightly so, given the amazing players in the game today! But are there any investment opportunities left? Where is the "smart money" going? I submit to the board that there are still some pockets of opportunity. May I mention one for your review please?

Is ultra-modern the place to spend? No, it's far too speculative, with more busts than stars, by far. How about early vintage (48B, 57T, 61F)? Likely not, as its still experiencing a "boom period" and priced out right now. What about the standard set for the hobby- 1986 Fleer Basketball? Perhaps in the mid-high graded card sector (7/8), but generally most feel it will be tough to sustain current prices for the long haul.

Here's a small set, really a subset, worthy of consideration: 1987-88 Fleer Stickers! Hear me out... consider these reasons:

1-Nine of the 11 cards portray in-game shots of renown Hall of Famers like Bird, Magic, Jordan, Hakeem, Barkley, etc, while in their prime!
2-High grade cards are very difficult to come by. A graded 9 set would be very elusive and a gem mint 10 set extremely difficult to obtain, because of the small population.
3-The cards are condition sensitive, the preponderance being diamond cut with well known left-to-right centering problems.
4-There are many raw copies of this 35 yr old set available for sale, however, the population has diminished some because many collectors used these colorful stickers as intended and peeled and stuck them to something!
5-The most important card, the second year Michael Jordan sticker, portrays him with hair and in his early Bulls uniform! An amazing card that can be purchased graded 7 for around $200!
6-The entire set is a comparative bargain when looking at other cards from the mid-1980's, an era when basketball spread internationally and the players became celebrities.

I recommend putting together a set in Ex-Mint 6 or higher condition. An exmt set would be quite affordable, a higher grade set viewed as more of an investment. Below are some examples.

Anyone else agree/disagree? Other values out there?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_12414.jpg (184.4 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2415.jpg (188.3 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3412.jpg (179.0 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_413.jpg (184.4 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5416.jpg (219.4 KB, 256 views)

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Also collecting any and all basketball memorabilia.