View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 09:17 PM
MikeB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGT View Post
I've had quite a few "last cards" over the past 10 years, but the one that sticks out for me was the 62 Topps Roger Maris #1 - because of my ordeal in obtaining it. I needed it in PSA 7, and it became a REAL pain to win on ebay. I waited, waited, lost at least three straight auctions in the final 6 seconds, and then waited another 6 months, during which there were none listed on the site at all.

Finally it popped up in a Buy-It-Now for way more than it was worth, of course. I saw it about a day after it was listed and I just grabbed it - overpriced as it was.

I was holding my nose as I sent the money through paypal, but at least I could exhale at having completed a 62T set in NM or better.
Replace "Roger Maris" with "Elston Howard" (#400) and you have my story in completing my '62T Master set! My goal for 2010 was to complete the set and it wasn't looking like I'd be able to do that after losing out on a couple auctions. But then, a PSA 8 came up from 707 and (foolishly??) I made a counter-offer and was able to bring the price down a bit. I was ecstatic to complete the set by EOY 2010, Christmas Eve to be exact. A nice gift to myself!

If anyone would like to see the set with pics included, here's a link: 1962 Topps Master Set

Last edited by HoofHearted; 04-24-2012 at 09:19 PM. Reason: correct link