View Single Post
Old 05-04-2021, 09:23 AM
Wimberleycardcollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Gordon View Post
As I type this from my office, located about 10 miles west of the location of the National, I am feeling pretty good that the National is going to happen. Illinois has come a long way over the past year or so when a picture of a masked Mayor of Chicago was a meme to stay home. Restaurants and bars are back open. The mayor just started to allow fans at Bulls and Blackhawks games. I'm making plans with friends to go see some White Sox games. We finally have a good supply of vaccine in the area and more and more locations are distributing the vaccine. I go for my second shot on May 15. I am also setting up at a show south of Rosemont on May 23. I think we'll reach Phase 5 before July. If not, we'll certainly reach Phase 5 before October.

I've been to just about every National that has ever been in Chicago and to me, each National has been worth the price of admission. I love seeing the huge amount of cards, memorabilia, along with the current and retired pro athletes. I also enjoy getting to talk to like-minded folks from all over the country.

Though, I think you will have a tough time finding a deal with demand at an all-time high. I've been attending shows since the 1970's and setting up since the 1980's and have never seen this type of money being spent at card shows before. I am making more money selling cards at my monthly show in Milwaukee than I ever have in the past. I don't need to discount anything. I should probably raise my prices.

The National is traditionally my best show as a dealer. With the current card market, this year's National is going to be nuts. Regardless, the National is just special. You will see and experience things that cannot be experienced anywhere else. For example, 10 to 12 years ago, I was standing in front of huge display case at one of the auction houses admiring some trophies and awards belonging to one of my childhood heroes -- Dr. J. I felt someone approach on my left, looked up, and was staring at Dr. J himself -- that was a bit of heaven for me. While money is great, I'm sports fan first and to see, touch, and talk to my sports heroes is better than anything that money can buy. I love the National and can't wait. Should be fun!
Great post!