View Single Post
Old 06-09-2021, 07:00 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I guess I’m getting tripped up on hobby lexicon, and what is meant by the term fantasy piece. I truly hope that the OP’s item is authentic, and I believe it so, although this is memorabilia and an area that I neither collect nor profess to know very well. If not authentic, though, I believe it more likely to be a reproduction or based upon something authentic than something contrived from thin air. What is the main view of those who oppose it being the real deal?
Among the many mysteries surrounding this piece has to do with your very question: if it is some kind of repro, even a composite, where are the vintage items the fabricator based it on? As noted, there are known vintage elements in the details of the piece, but how could it be that the fabricator is the only one to have come across an original containing the graphics used in the replication? And if it was made up out of whole cloth--a true fantasy piece--a lot of design talent went into its creation, and how could the time, effort, and risk of exposure possibly be worth what one of these would bring on eBay? Although waiting for answers to my questions regarding the forensic analyses, I'm still leaning toward the latter of the unlikely scenarios outlined above, thinking that perhaps the creator envisioned a lot more than it actually sold for, maybe by a factor of ten or twenty, and that a result along those lines would have made the effort eminently worthwhile.