View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 05:55 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Default 1948/49 Leaf Paper Stock

Somebody on the football forum was mentioning how Leaf Gum Co. used two different kinds of paper stock to make their 48' football set - white and gray. I think they used white paper first, but then ran out and had to switch to the lower-quality gray paper, but I might be wrong about this. Anyhow, after reading about this, I wondered if the same had happened to the baseball set as well. I started by focusing on the Jackies and it looks like it did. Let's look at the first card below:

This appears to have been printed on white paper stock. The borders and lettering look very white, but also, you'll notice how much vibrant the colors are. This card looks fantastic!

Now let's look at the other one below:

There is such a huge difference between this one and the one above it. You can right away tell that the paper stock is of much lower quality; hence why many of these ones can be found with serious toning issues. Furthermore, the colors are just dull. This "gray version," if that's the correct way to describe it, is more commonly found than the "white version." In my opinion, it should be worth less than the white version, but I don't think collectors really care about the paper stock or do they?

Give me your thoughts on this subject. Have you noticed this with the other cards from this set? Do you disagree with anything I wrote?

Thanks for reading