View Single Post
Old 10-18-2021, 06:30 AM
Se@n Kel.ly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foto1 View Post
As I read these teams I come to a question that has always perplexed me. I love Yogi, and love Campanella, how come Yogi is always chosen over Roy? Never saw either play, started watching in 68, but for those who saw both, is it not close or are they a toss up? Played a lot of All Time All Star, the SI game in early 70's, on the chart in the game Campy was stronger. Same question Eddie Mathews and Hank Aaron, as they played together was Aaron the player and Mathews the second choice. Did see Aaron quite a bit, did not see Eddie Mathews. Question for those who saw them.
I never saw them play either, but my best guess is that it comes down to two factors. Between his negro league career and his accident, Campanella had a shorter career in the majors, so his major counting stats don't measure up to Yogi's. When you factor in 10 championships vs 1, Yogi has a clear advantage. Add in the colorful personality and the Yankee mystique, I think that explains why he's the choice for so many people. Personally I think Campanella was better, but I understand why people would lean toward Yogi.

With respect to Aaron vs. Mathews, I think it's as simple as Aaron being far superior in every meaningful statistic. This isn't meant to diminish Mathews, who is an underappreciated great of the game, but he's just a star, Henry Aaron is no worse that the 5th best player in the history of the game, and has a legitimate argument to be the best.