View Single Post
Old 06-13-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
Ryan, great pickups, so what took you so long? I was starting to think you had just forgotten about getting the Wagner.

On a serious note, if you don't mind sharing, I'm just curious with cards of this magnitude, how is the planned delivery? Shipping USPS? Flying out to pick up? Carrier Pigeon?

DJ
Thanks DJ. To answer your question, I am flying out to pick them up in person.

Jay, you asked:

1. What's your favorite out of the group and why?

Not sure, but its not the Magie (although I love it). I really love my Plank, but its no Wagner.... not even close. And, believe it or not, I am almost as excited about the Doyle as I am the Wagner. The Doyle is flat-out impossible. As a T206 guy and someone who loves the super-rare, to me, getting the Doyle is unreal; based on what I could find, there have been 3 public sales in the past 20+ years, and I understand most Doyles are in major collection s and will never again see the market (at least not for many many years). But alas, I think my favorite is of course the Wagner -- its an F-ing Wagner for God's sake!

2. Is it safe to say we will not be seeing them all in SGC holders in the near future?

I won't cross any of these. I really don't cross anything (yet). Historically, the few times/year when I buy a raw card and want it graded, I go SGC. But I am so upset with them over their new population report, that I may look to PSA going forward; and if SGC continues to trip over themselves, which I am convinced is a huge reason PSA cards are valued over SGC, I may cross some of my more common SGC cards over to PSA down the line. The Doyle, however, will always remain in that flip; I dont think I will even go for the new flip.

Also, a few have asked if I will put together a complete, 524-card set. Yes, of course. How can I not do that? There literally cannot be more than 8-9ish of those out there (thanks to the Doyle), and I doubt there are actually more than 2-3 in existence currently; Powell just broke his up, so that is one less complete set out there. I am not really a set guy, but I feel required to put these together with their 520 friends. Anyone have a mid-grade, complete 520-card set they want to trade/sell?

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 06-14-2020 at 04:27 AM.