View Single Post
Old 10-18-2021, 08:26 AM
Frank Wakefield

As a teenager (which for me was about a two decade process), if I bought something at a Saturday auction (I'm talking live in person auctions, pre eBay, and not talking baseball card auctions), Dad would see whatever it was and ask me what I'd paid for it, then he'd say "Well, when you buy something at an auction you can know one thing, that you paid more for something than anyone else there thought it was worth." But he'd been a child from the Depression.

We've become a nation of haters. And I see that in myself. I'm not very keen on the slabbing/grading of cards. But with this Wagner card I can see that it would be better preserved inside the plastic. I'm amused by what I see as the ardent fans of graded cards having their faith shaken by an altered card inside the slab.

Come on now... the card is a genuine Wagner. It looks better after it was worked on. It's in graded plastic. Who of us would not welcome that card into their collection? And are there any of us who, if we were given that card, we'd then burn it?

I like it.