View Single Post
Old 01-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Default 1935 Chicle question

Posted By: Mike Blaisdell

As John mentioned the green ink backs are reprints sometimes found notated 1990 Reprint sometimes found without the notation.

As far as the 240 subjects, artwork does exist for the 36 issued cards and I do remember hearing hobby stories of additional unissued artwork also being found with the 36.

I also own correspondence from the National Chicle Co. to Clair Hare of the Philadelphia Eagles from 1935. Mr. Hare was the Director of Publicity for the Eagles. A.S. Livingston of the National Chicle Co. had requested 10 player photos from the Eagles and an Eagle team photo for their FOOTBALL STARS CHEWING GUM. I imagine the team photo would have been one of the R311-2 premium photos. Mr. Hare had sent a panoramic team photo which the Chicle Co. could not use and they were trying to acquire another team pictures.

Even if each team had sent 10 player photos that is still a far cry from 240.

I have included one of the letters in which it appears that A.S. Livingston had sent proofs of the first 24 cards and 12 of the large photo art pictures to Mr. Hare. I wouldnt mind having those today!

Mike

ps: and a Happy New Year to everyone!

[linked image]