View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 10:11 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

My comment was meant to address the legality of shill bidding on ehay. I have never done it there or anywhere, but my guess is, ebay has to follow the law just like everyone else. If it is against the law then it is against the law on ebay or otherwise. If it isn't against the law, then it won't be against the law on ebay, and no internet peanut gallery comments (not aimed at you, or anyone in particular, Steve) will make it true. It will be against their policy not illegal (I guess it could be "ebay-illegal"). Ebay is working on getting bid retractors addressed and I hope they ramp up efforts to stop shilling but it seems almost impossible.
I think shilling sucks big time. O

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
As far as I know, Ebay policy tends to follow what's law in California, or in some other more restrictive location if it becomes a requirement for doing business there.
For instance there's a whole bunch of stuff from WWII that is fine here, but not fine without disclaimers in Germany. To avoid problems, they very readily pull that stuff. A friend had a marlin arms matchbook showing a GI trampling a Nazi flag, propaganda, but not pro Nazi. They pulled it and explained someone had complained about the swastika. Meanwhile he'd gotten a very nice off-ebay offer for it from the guy who had been the high bidder.

Last edited by Leon; 06-10-2019 at 10:55 AM.