View Single Post
Old 03-24-2015, 07:32 PM
Al Richter

Default variations and variants

Keith and I have had this discussion before. There is no accepted hobby definition of a variation that I know of, and some of the most expensive "variations" in the hobby are no more than the minor print defects of which he speaks.

I view a variant as any card that differs in any respect from it's common counterpart. I agree with Keith that if you look long enough you might find some print deviation in every card out there

I tend to view true variations as cards intentionally changed by the manufacturer for some reason. The 59 trade/option variations are an example. But I think I agree with Keith that DPs or cards printed on two different sheets that have cropping or other differences can be true variations , for although not specifically intended, the difference in the printing process was intended. The 52 Mantle or 62 greenies are examples.

But in terms of future value it does not matter what Keith or I think if the hobby as a whole decides that the 58 Herrer or 57 Bakep....or more recently the 61 Fairly...print defects are true variations.

I think the thread here and in the pre 80 forum are great at pointing out all the cool "variants" out there :-)

PS-- hello from St Bart's

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 03-25-2015 at 05:19 AM.