View Single Post
Old 05-08-2017, 09:33 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default My 3rd T206 story......PIEDMONT only set

* * * * * * * * * * * * T206 Reflections, Theory's, Surveys, etc. * * * * * * * * * * * * *

v......................... PIEDMONT 150 ..........................v....................... .... PIEDMONT 350.........................v

Jan 2006....The novelty of completing a 2nd set was short-lived. Indeed, The Monster had me "hooked". Going thru set #2, I noticed that 44% of the cards were Piedmont's.
This fact inspired me to embark on a new adventure....PIEDMONT-only set. I figured that it should be somewhat easy, since American Litho printed over 50% of the T206's
they produced with the Piedmont advertisements. In the 1st decade of the 20th Century, Piedmont was the "Flagship" brand of the American Tobacco Company.

I broke up this set and started converting Sweet Caporal, Sovereign, Polar Bear, etc. cards to Piedmont cards. The first smart move in this process was getting together with
Dave Czuba (who I had helped complete his 520-card set). We had a great trading session, trading his Piedmont T206's for whatever other T206 brands in my set. When the
"smoke" cleared, my new set's Piedmont population increased to 67%.

My first milestone was reached in May 2006 upon completing the run of the...... PIEDMONT 150 series

Example sheet from my album

It was more or less "smooth sailing" from that point on to acquiring the remaining Piedmont Stars and Commons to achieve the goal of a 518-card set. The only dif-
ficult cards I encountered were certain Southern Leaguers with Piedmont 350 backs. Three of them are shown at the top of this page (Breitenstein, Shaughnessy and
Foster). In fact, most of the Southern Leaguers (which were originally printed with brown HINDU backs) were tough to find with Piedmont 350 backs.

Nov 2006....initial Mission Accomplished...... 518-card PIEDMONT-only set.

Eventually, I acquired a MAGIE to update this set to 519 cards.

June 2007....I found a card which I refer to as a "poor man's" substitute for the Joe Doyle Nat'L. Check out this thread regarding.... "Poor man's" Joe Doyle error
Finally, my PIEDMONT set was complete with 520 cards.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -^ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Printer's Mark - - - -^ (remnant of "N" in Nat'L)

Stay tuned for my 4th set, which was quite a challenge. Meanwhile, I look forward to hearing of your T206 set experiences.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 05-18-2020 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Added Joe Doyle scans