View Single Post
Old 09-15-2020, 06:34 AM
Howard Chasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
From the other side of the coin....

I bid something in at say $120 and I think I've gotten a great deal, I instantly pay... only to get a message a day later saying "sorry, I can't find that card anywhere... ." I've gotten that several times. Mostly, I believe them. A couple of times I've wondered if they got a message right after the listing ends saying that someone meant to bid$350.... and the card is then bought out from under me.
This has happened with me as a seller 3 times this past year (have sold hundreds of items). 2 of them I later found, contacted the original seller and completed the transactions, the 3rd I haven't found. I don't doubt that the scenario you laid out with contact and a higher offer happens and I suspect some sellers are swayed. I like to think that most sellers have more integrity than that. I know I do. How it has happened on my ned - 1) I just misplaced the item, I have created a "listings staging" area to help prevent this from happening, 2) I accidentally "relist" something that I had already sold - this is rare, but possible (for me at least).

Quote:

One more thing. Whales. The BIG bidder/buyers will sometimes win something along with other stuff, the pass on the something and only pay for the other stuff. The Auction guys allow that, so as not to piss off the Whale. Fine if you had consigned 'other stuff', not fine if you had consigned the 'something'. Also, I've had Auction houses mention a delay in settling up with me because something I sold was bought by a Whale, who just hadn't gotten around to paying yet. Whales get to pay late; some Auction guys allow that to get more commission on sales. And because they want the Whales to return for the next auction.
This seems like it would apply to a non Ebay auction.