View Single Post
Old 07-27-2020, 11:11 AM
Frank Wakefield

A gentleman once told me that as a kid in 1953 he was taken to a Yankees game. He had saved money to buy stuff. Outside Yankee Stadium, on his way in, he saw a vender had 1952 Topps cards for sale. He bought a pack, and found they were high number cards, cards he and his friends didn't know existed... Mantle was in that pack. He pulled out his saved money and bought the whole box. I mention this to get to something he told me. In the long run, he'd have more value had he saved the box and all of the wrappers, kept them nice and protected, and thrown away the cards....

I'm a bit of a dinosaur and a curmudgeon. But golly, the mass printed cards of the 80s and 90s sure deflated a bunch of would be kid card collectors. COVID isn't helping. We need young kids to care about the game, its history, and old cardboard so we can sell this stuff to someone else one day...

If I had $20k to spend on collectables and I didn't need the money for living expenses, bills, debts, or investments.... I'd try to buy a green white border Cobb, an Old Judge Delehanty, and a T210 Stengel. But I wouldn't call that investing.