Thread: 10s
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2019, 07:42 AM
D.an Jackso.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagwell-1994 View Post
I think PSA 10's are generally difficult to obtain even in very recent modern cards. Even "brand" new 2017/2018 cards more often will come back as 9's than 10's (from all of the PSA submission return videos I've watched on youtube recently).

IMO, it's a big racket. A card can be older or newer and be "virtually perfect" as far as you can see with your eye and it could come back as an 8/9/10 and PSA gives no explanation as to WHY or HOW the card was graded what it was, it simply receives the grade it does. Hence, why so many folks probably break the cases and resubmit, hoping for a higher grade based on a different opinion of a different individual who happens to be grading the card.

But generally speaking, PSA has somewhat of a monopoly, or at lesser extent, a stronghold over the sports card market, so their brand tends to maintain a higher resale value.

Due to the general rarity of any card being graded a "PSA 10", it will usually command CONSIDERABLY more than a PSA 9 of the same card. So, if you can get any card in PSA 10 for a reasonable price, do it, because their prices will often become UNREASONABLE later down the road, LOL! But hall of fame rookie cards from the 1980's and back (generally speaking) begin to become so expensive (and so overpriced on Ebay) that I usually settle for a 9, in many cases.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
This is an excellent point. I also collect comic books and the main grading company (CGC) issues "grader notes" with each book they grade, which lists the flaws with the book and justifies the grade. Well, you have to pay $10 to get them but at least they are available. Would be nice if this was also available with card grading.

Last edited by stlcardsfan; 04-03-2019 at 07:43 AM.