Thread: AH's at 20%
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2014, 11:28 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I have cards up in two of the auctions this month. These are the first two cards I've ever consigned. In each case my cut will be 95% of hammer, and the BP is 20%. If we ignore shipping charges then, I'll be getting, for example, $950 out of $1200 paid by the buyer, which works out to just over 79%. So was that a good choice for me? Honestly I don't know yet, but it seemed likely enough that I was willing to take the chance. There was one auction house (not running an auction this month) that never returned my emails or calls, so they missed out on my business.

When I go the eBay route, once you factor in the Paypal cut I'm left with about 90% of the hammer price, (there's also the time and effort and expense of shipping, but that's the same whether I'm mailing to a buyer or an AH) so from one perspective I'm costing myself 11% of the total value of the cards, which seems like a bad idea, but I think there's a decent chance that the 15 minute rule could yield a significantly higher sale price for at least one of my cards than the usual eBay set-your-snipes-and-check-back-on-Sunday-night model would. I also saved on grading because one of my cards was raw (until a month ago) and got in as part of a bulk submission from the auction house. And then of course...

Not having to deal with eBay: Priceless