View Single Post
Old 08-23-2004, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Default Why Insult The Buyers???

Posted By: jay behrens

The only thing you need to tell novice is that the price is based upon the condition and the current market. If they want to chat a bit about the nuances of pricing, I'll go into detail.

The sad thing is that price guides use a percentage of NM becuase it make it easier to produce prices for 100s of thousands, if not millions of different cards, rather having to take the time to produce truely accurate guides.

Using high book value is akin to the scam several prominent dealers used to love to use in the 80s. They would take out huge ads in SCD saying they were buying cards from a given set for an insane amount of money. When you called, you would be told that they already bought all the cards they could use/afford. In reality, they had, but they had bought before they placed the buy ad. Then used the ad to justify the their outrageous selling prices.

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.