View Single Post
Old 02-13-2014, 05:56 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Barry, I can remember so many of those super-bands that ended up just being someone's failed fantasy - Asia and the Firm for instance. What let-downs.
We just had two of(probably) the most successful in the early 2000's. Although, I will admit that deep down, they're both(at their core) pretty much an established band with a new singer, under a new name. Not much different than Van Halen with Hagar, or Sabbath with Dio, but with a name change.

Velvet Revolver-for the most part Guns N Roses with Scott Weiland from STP.

Audioslave- for the most part Rage against the Machine with Chris Cornell from Soundgarden..

As far as "true supergroups", I'd say the Traveling Wilburys might've been one of the best. Along with CSN or CSNY.

Now, I should point out the obvious, that a lot of bands are, in a way, a supergroup. But drawn on local success(with smaller egos), that we may not be aware of on the mainstream level... One of the reasons we see a lot of bands come out with great debut albums, and then fall off a cliff, if because that first album, often times, is kind of a greatest hits. A compilation of everything these guys had written up 'til that point(both together, and pre-existing material)